Thursday 26 September 2013

An Introverted Introduction

For many years, I considered myself an extrovert; Living up to false ideals, based on other peoples perception of me; enduring countless social gatherings, parties and curricular activities, which gave me a sense of identity I could understand and portray. I would wake up most mornings trying to justify my loneliness and avoid feelings of anxiety, by surrounding myself with people I assumed knew me better then myself. It was only when I alienated myself from a society I despised, I truly found harmony. Somewhere between my childhood transition to adulthood, I had become an introvert. A classic definition to an introverts behaviour, is a person who is energised by being alone and whose energy is drained by being around other people. Not to say, an introvert is lacking social grace, but however, finds the balance of isolation and interaction to be imperative. An introverted person takes great joy in exploring the world of their mind and using their leisure time to evaluate their thoughts. We are emotional and misunderstood creatures. However, Adam McHugh's quote, gives a more descriptive and relatable explanation "Often we come home from a sharing session with a feeling that something precious has been taken away from us or that holy ground has been trodden upon.”

I personally, am very selective with whom I share my desires and dreams with, not due to a lacking of confidence, but an awareness to how fragile my mind is too public displays of criticism and a solid understanding of 'never being wrong for how you feel'. This has led me to create very bold and opinionated views on the World, Love and Existence, but views I have great difficulty sharing with clarity to the public due to a fear that I will be misunderstood. Along with this new found understanding of how an introverts mind works, has come a great sense of empathy to the many other young introverted people who face the same melodies of confusion and social anxiety. I have created this contextual blog to give a personal example of how an introverts mind works and to hopefully encourage other introverts whom may not fully acknowledge the beauty of their minds; to embrace their identity.

No comments:

Post a Comment